A lot of us are familiar wtih Mech Roulette…
This is primarily due to how Mechs are selected on the Mech Selection screen.
You see your opponents 3 Mechs and try to guess which 2 he’ll pick, and then choose the appropriate counters. The problem though is, a lot of games typically get very lopsided depending on the matchups and are not worth playing. Not good for a so-called strategy game
Now certainly, 1v1 (needs to be good vs everything) and 3v3 (nowhere to hide severely unbalanced CounterMechs) would both favor more Rounded Mechs, but reintroducing at this stage would divide the player pool and create excessivrly long waits.
So, how do we get back to favoring Rounded Mechs and better quality matches? Introducing…
- Strategic 2v2 with 1v1 and 3v3 elements
Initially, these would be Showcase matches between Rank 1 Black Skull players only. Imagine, being Rank 1, and waiting for your next match in the Arena, when all of a sudden, you hear… this
Screen goes black, and a Mech Selection Screen comes up that says:
Choose 1 Mech to be your Champion
That’s right. PIck 1 out of 3 Mechs to start. Match starts like a 1v1. Rounded Mechs are typically the best way to go here because you never really know what your opponent might bring out. Just in case your opponent chooses to start with a strong counter though…
When Swapping out Mechs, Choose 1 of your 2 Remaining Mechs to come in
Again, you read that right. It’s kinda like 3v3 in a way as all your Mechs are available to choose from. Now once you’ve selected this 2nd Mech, you are only allowed one more swap back to the original 1st Mech (the 3rd remaining Mech does not play).
The reason for doing it this way is that you can select a Rounded or Strong Counter to counter the opponent’s 1st Mech. By putting out his strong Counter 1st, he reveals his hand so to speak and gives you an advantage. He does still get the chance though to select 1 of his 2 remaining Mechs.
Benefits of Strategic 2v2
- Favors Rounded Mechs to start match
- Match outcome stays in suspense longer
- Significantly Less Mech Roulette
- All 3 Mechs available to choose from
- No splitting of opponent pool
- No significant increase in time to play (in fact, would be less)
- More Strategically Satisfying Gameplay
Would you like to see Strategic 2v2 in SuperMechs?
- Yes, but only for Black Skulls vs Black Skulls (Rank 1 vs Rank 1)
- Yes, but for All Skull Ranks vs. All Skull Ranks (Rank 1-4 vs Rank 1-4)
- Yes, but for All 2v2 Ranked Matches (Rank 15-1 vs Rank 15-1)
- No, I prefer the Current 2v2 System
- Other (please explain)