Malice's DnD-ish Forum Game!

So for any of you nerdy folks out there (or perhaps just curious) that enjoy some DnD, i had an idea. It’ll have to be a very altered version, but I thought it would be a fun attempt to do a simplified version here as a forum game. So to those whom are dnd sticklers, be weary, there will be many differences to make things easier. I’m essentially eliminating some things and instead, giving you guys the ability to create whom you want from scratch by leveling (rather than picking classes).

Everyone starts level 1, and everyone get’s to spread 30 points across their stats. Every level up, you get an additional 5 points to spread across. You have 5 stats.

CON - This is your health. You hit 0, your character dies and you’ll have to make a new one to play.
STR - This is your strength. Physical attacks, lifting things, etc will be determined by this stat.
DEX - This is your dexterity. Essentially your reflexes (dodge), agility, balance, etc.
CHA - This is your charisma. Your ability to persuade others.
PER - This is your perception. Your ability to notice your surroundings and see things others may not.

NO STAT can be over double your LOWEST STAT (i.e.- If you’re lowest stat is 4, you can’t have any other stat above 8). Every 5 points in a stat category will give a +1 bonus for that stat (I’ll track that though).

As you go through the campaign, you may gain items. You can only equip 1 item at a time. You can hold an inventory up to 3 items (STR can increase this number). I will specify how much inventory items will take up when giving to folks.

My example is below, do your own. Every time you do an action, you should post your current stats (with modified stats if you leveled up).

Name: Malicewolf
Lvl: 1
Equipped item: N/A
CON: 8
STR: 7
DEX: 6
CHA: 4
PER: 5
Inventory: N/A

So, here’s how it works:
I will set up a scenario and give folks 24 hours time to perform actions based on it. Your goal is to get through and survive. There will be enemies, traps, obstacles, and surprises. Work together, get in each other’s way; your imagination is the limit (but forum rules still apply, so please, don’t go overboard).
You CAN do multiple actions in this 24 hour period.
You CAN react with another action AFTER I answer one before the 24 hour period.
You CAN wait for another players action/reaction before doing your own.
You CAN learn from what other’s do (you don’t have to do same thing as them to gain that knowledge).
You CAN interact with fellow players (trade, discuss things, lie to each other, attack each other, etc).
You CAN choose to go into ‘auto-pilot’ mode which lets your character do basic attacks in nearby fights or follow a party member and helps them in fights. HOWEVER, your character CAN die in auto-pilot.
You CANNOT assume an action (i.e. - “I kick the door down” assumes you were able to kick the door down. You can say “I kick the door” and see what happens).
You CANNOT perform the same thing as another player and get the same thing. Timing and luck are part of this. If 2 players perform the same action in waiting, the 1st poster will do the action first.
You CANNOT change your actions using the edit button AFTER I answer you.
You CANNOT have more than 1 character at a time.

Basically, this will be a SLOW way of doing things. As I can’t ALWAYS be around (and nor can you) it’ll be based on an at least 1 action per day). Also, because we can’t let folks “roll dice” here, I will be rolling for you to determine your luck. Sorry folks, you’ll just have to trust me. I promise i’m not cheating.

Every scenario I do will have OP enemies in it if you get unlucky in your exploration (or go somewhere you probably shouldn’t). I won’t be afraid to kill you if you make dumb decisions. This is not a fantasy setting scenario; you can’t do magic or impossible tasks (i.e. - I jump 50 feet into the air and grab the flying bird to fly over the wall).

So for any folks interested in joining, here we go. This is your starting scenario:

It’s dark and pouring rain outside. In front of you is a wide stone bridge that leads up to a castle. There are many stone statues lining the side of the bridge and a few in front of the castle leading up the staircase to the front door. You can see a faint light at the front door. The road behind you is flooding with water from the rain and looks extremely slippery and steep. What would you like to do?

Current Known Map Layout

Current players

Name: Bruce (Front of Castle)
Lvl: 11 (EXP 100)
Equipped item:
(Electric Baton: D4 dmg 12+ stun opponent 1 turn, 1 inventory)
(Cross Bow: D4 dmg roll, +10 reach, 1 inventory [DEX roll to hit target])
(Flamethrower: D4 dmg 15+ roll burn, +3 reach (AOE), 1 inventory)
(Leather Armor: 14+ rolls -1 body dmg, 0 inventory)
(Armor Facemask: prevents crit dmg, -1 DEX, 0 inventory)
CON: 14
STR: 16
DEX: 18 (-1)
CHA: 16
PER: 16
Inventory: 1 Knife, 51 gold

Name: LowKee (Front of Castle)
Lvl: 11 (EXP 80)
Equipped item:
(Modified Large Flame Axe: D10 + 3 dmg, 17+ roll burn, +2 reach, 2 handed, 2 inventory)
(Champion’s Armor: -2 body dmg, 17+ roll blocks additional 3 dmg, -3 DEX, 0 inventory)
CON: 10
STR: 20
DEX: 20 (-3)
CHA: 15
PER: 15
Inventory: 2 small medicine, 2 steroid, 1 bandage, 1 medicinal drug, 3 Enhanced Steroids

Name : CyaKnight (Front of Castle)
Lvl : 10 (EXP 0)
Equipped Item :
(Modified Large Flame Sword: D8 + 4 dmg, 17+ roll burn, +2 reach, 2 handed, 2 inventory)
(Heavy Armor: -2 body dmg, -4 DEX, 0 inventory)
(Armor Facemask: prevents crit dmg, -1 DEX, 0 inventory)
CON : 16
STR : 16
DEX : 20 (-5)
CHA : 14
PER : 10
Inventory : Cleaning rag, small pebbles, Metal Shield, 2 unknown medicine, Revive serum

Name: Pada (Front of Castle)
Lvl: 9 (EXP 0)
Equipped item: (Frying Pan - +2 dmg 16+ hit roll = knock enemy unconscious, 1 inventory)
(Leather Armor: 14+ rolls -1 body dmg, 0 inventory)
(Crossbow: D4 dmg roll, +10 reach, 1 inventory [DEX roll to hit target])
CON: 14
STR: 13
DEX: 13
CHA: 10
PER: 20
Inventory: Diary, Wooden Stake, Small Axe, Fire Bomb x2, 182 gold

Name: Cynthia (Front of Castle)
Lvl: 10 (EXP 130)
Equipped item: (Butcher’s knife: +3 dmg 18+ rolls cleave bone, 1 inventory)
(Cross Bow: D4 dmg roll, +10 reach, 1 inventory [DEX roll to hit target])
(Pearl Necklace: +1 CHA)
CON: 11
STR: 10
DEX: 20
CHA: 14 (+1)
PER: 20
Inventory: Rapier, makeshift cloth purse, gun, 3 bullets, 35 gold, 3 Unknown Medicines, 2 Enhanced Steroid, 2 repellents, Invisibility Cloak

Name: Dave (MIA)
CON: 5
STR: 8
DEX: 7
CHA: 4
PER: 6

NPC : Sevres [aka:Jeeves] (DEAD)
Lvl : ?
Equipped Item: N/A
CON :?
STR : ?
DEX : ?
CHA : ?
PER : ?
Inventory: 28 makeshift torches (28 chair legs & 28 pieces of cloth), 8 forks, 8 spoons, 1 stone sword, 1 candle holder, 8 plates

NPC : Jessica (Office Room)
Equipped Item: Pan
CON :5
STR : ?
DEX : ?
CHA : ?
PER : ?
Inventory: ?

NPC : Hyde (Visitor’s Area)
Equipped Item: Gun
CON:
STR: ?
DEX: ?
CHA: ?
PER: ?
Inventory: ?, ?

Unknown Medicine x0outof5: +10hp (up to max) - 15 gold [SOLD]
Morphine x10: +10hp for 2 turns (temp over max) [when worn off, hp will go to 1 if below] - 40 gold
Enhanced Steroids x0outof5: +5 CON, STR, & DEX for 3 turns - 30 gold [SOLD]
CON Syringe x3: Perm +3 to CON (cannot over max)- 50 gold
STR Syringe x3: Perm +3 to STR (cannot over max) - 50 gold
DEX Syringe x2outof3: Perm +3 to DEX (cannot over max) - 50 gold
Repellent x3outof5: Undead will avoid you for 3 turns - 20 gold
Electric Baton: D4 dmg 12+ stun opponent 1 turn, 1 inventory - 50 gold [SOLD]
Flamethrower: D4 dmg 15+ (per target) burns target for 1 dmg per turn. Enemy rolls D2 to put flame out, +3 reach (AOE), 1 inventory - 100 gold [SOLD]
Modified Staff: D6 +2 dmg, +3 reach, 2 inventory - 60 gold
Fire Bomb x2outof2: D10 +3 dmg, +5 reach AOE, 1 inventory - 80 gold [SOLD]
Modified Large Shield: D4 +2 dmg, full body shield, 15+ roll blocks frontal dmg, 2 inventory [15 STR required to use] - 150 gold
Modified Large Flame Sword: D8 + 4 dmg, 17+ burns target for 1 dmg per turn. Enemy rolls D2 to put flame out, +1 reach, 2 handed - 200 gold [SOLD]
Modified Large Flame Axe: D10 + 3 dmg, 17+ burns target for 1 dmg per turn. Enemy rolls D2 to put flame out, +2 reach, 2 handed - 220 gold [SOLD]

@Malicewolf

Name: LowKee
CON: 6
STR: 6
DEX: 6
CHA: 6

Examine statue

Rolled 10. Comes to 11 with Perception bonus. You notice cracks on one of the statues. -DM Malice

Examine cracks

You notice cracks on the base near the statue legs, at the hands holding a stone sword, and across the torso horizontally. The statue hands are about a foot above your head. The cracks look old from long wear and tear of the stone. Stone looks fairly brittle where all of the cracks are. -DM Malice

Examine stone sword

Looks like a sturdy stone sword, but also looks a bit heavy. -DM Malice

Assess my ability to cross the bridge and climb the stairs to the door without slipping over

Stone looks a bit slippery. Probably best not to run across it, but otherwise, should be fine to walk across. Same with the stairs. -DM Malice

Goto door and knock on it

Need you to fill template out first (feel free to edit your post). Otherwise, I don’t know your stats! Also, please post it (even if it doesn’t change) each time you do an action. Just makes my life easier so I don’t have to hunt everytime :smiley:

@LowKee - answered :wink: Feel free to perform additional actions with your new knowledge.

Wish I was half-decent at D&D, it’s fun when I do play it.

Play it here then. This is purely a casual and fun thing :slight_smile:

You knock on the door and hear shuffling footsteps on the other side, then silence. -DM Malice

Name: Moose Why I chose Moose? Bruce rhymes with Moose lol.
Equipped item: Stone Sword
CON: 5
STR: 6
DEX: 7
CHA: 6
Inventory: Stone Sword
Examine the statue’s features.

I attempt to separate the Stone Sword from the statue.

The statues look like medieval knights. Nothing aside from some with cracks on them stand out. The statue LowKee examined looks the most brittle. -DM Malice

Need more detail on how. Please refer to previous post

You notice cracks on the base near the statue legs, at the hands holding a stone sword, and across the torso horizontally. The statue hands are about a foot above your head. The cracks look old from long wear and tear of the stone. Stone looks fairly brittle where all of the cracks are.

I try to acquire the stone sword from the statue by grabbing it.

You reach above your head to grab the stone sword. You rolled a 4 which comes to 5 with STR bonus. The sword does not budge.

I have a question, is it ok to do actions multiple times?

I’ll give you 2 chances at same action for this. But if you fail it again, I’m gonna put it up as moose thinks he’s too weak to lift it. On a side note, if you choose an entirely different means to try to get something, I’ll consider it a separate action.

Ok, I’ll try to grab the sword again.

Rolled a 13 STR. With bonus, comes to 14. You lift the sword with all your might and to your surprise, it comes loose! The sword lands on the ground with a loud *thud* The sword is quite heavy... You now have a [Stone Sword] (+3 attack on STR attack rolls, -2 DEX to dodge, 2 inventory space) You can no longer run while this item is in your inventory (unless strength is above 15).

Do I get to strengthen my strength later on?

If you can level up, yes. Each level gives +5 points to distribute. But 15 STR will take a while to get to with the rule of not having double over your lowest stat (but stone swords aren’t really supposed to be a viable weapon either for most people).

I try to meet up with @LowKee

Sidenote - You all can talk among yourselves on what you’d like to do together, etc. Or if someone comes in late and doesn’t want to read through everything, you can fill them in (or even lie to them). This is also a collaborative game :slight_smile:

Anyways, I’ll go to the castle and listen from outside.
Moose does that as quiet as possible.