Lakey and Wepsy idk the title isn't important

@Wepwawet,I’ve been wondering for quite a while.

So,Wepwawet is Anubis’ brother.
Could you tell us more about him?Is he a god of death/embalding/afterlife as well or are there major differences between them?

Also,Seth is said to have murdered Anubis.And so,did he become the ancient god of death in death or during lifetime (before/after he was killed)?

4 Likes

Also Nan,if you do know…

Could you explain me this thing about the angel of Death?
They’re both depicted as the Angel Of Death/The 4th Horseman of the Apocalypse as Azrael and Thanatos.

Yet Azrael is not Thanatos.Are they alter names for the same being?Are they from different religions/cultures but referring to the same thing?

This is the part where I got really stuck.And my books say nothing about which one is which or if they’re one.

3 Likes

I´ve to do some tasks at home atm, and then I’ll answer you.

These are the questions I like to answer.

Note: check the name, the dead is Osiris, not Anubis.

3 Likes

They are from different cultures, but mention the same concept.

The Book of Revelation was originally written in Greek, so it makes sense to be referred to as Thanatos (Death). According to the different translations of the manuscript, it will be kept as Thanatos or Azrael (which is the Hebrew expression for “Death”). Both Judaism and Christianity are autochthonous, but were influenced by other cultures, especially from Persian, Egyptian and Greek mythology.

3 Likes

In Egyptian mythology, Wepwawet and Anubis are not siblings. Both fall into the category of canid divinities. When portrayed as animal-like they differ in color, Wepwawet is gray and Anubis is black. Sometimes they can be represented with human body and animal head and in very rare cases with fully human body and head.

Wepwawet is a very old deity (already appears in din. III). Is a god of war bound exclusively to royalty. It´s the one who opens the ways (towards the victory of the King at the war). In the iconography is represented as a jackal or an African wolf and standing in front of an object that could represent a placenta considered double or twin to the King.

Anubis appears during the Ancient Kingdom (mentioned in the Pyramid Texts). Is a funeral deity linked in its beginnings to the resurrection of the King and later its cult became popular with all social classes. Its iconography as a jackal or dog is due to the custom of the canids to prowl the necropolis.

From the New Kingdom, Wepwawet also appears in the funerary context, guiding the deceased in the Hereafter. There may be two reasons for this: 1.It was mistaken for Anubis. 2. That as a path opener and warrior deity, its role was to guide the dead and protect them from the dangers of the underworld.

4 Likes

If you weren’t to teach me this,who else would have been?I might as well have never found out otherwise.

Thank you,Nan,for solving my little misunderstanding and teaching all of us something new (while actually ancient).

2 Likes

It´s a pleasure for me to help with what I know.

About the last question, according to the myth, Osiris is killed by his brother Seth and later is resurrected by the magic of his sister / wife Isis, who conceives a son with him: Horus.

Osiris is the first mortal god and that brings him closer to humans, to common people. However, he can only be alive in the Realm of the Dead, he will no longer be able to return to the land of livings. He becomes a benevolent god who welcomes the deceased into the afterlife.

In the Egyptian concept, life on the hereafter is a reflection of life on earth of livings. On the other side, deads must continue working cultivating the fields of Osiris. The Egyptian gods do not dictate norms to humans, it´s humans who says how the gods live and interact.

The dead can sometimes return to the land of livings and visit their relatives and see their home, but only for a short time.

My theory is that this is related to the rise of religious beliefs. I understand that ancestor worship existed first, as a way to keep the social group together and preserve the memory of learning.

3 Likes

Ah,so he’s resurrected!!

Clearly missed that part.Now it makes quite a bit of sense.

1 Like

He´s resurrected to conceive a child. But Osiris can only live in the Realm of Deads.

Each pharaoh, while on Earth, is a Horus. When he dies he becomes an Osiris.

Horus on Earth, Osiris in the Duat, Ra in the Heavens.

3 Likes

So…
Wait,this is soemthing deeper.

In fact,Horus,Osiris and all of them aren’t really just one deity…But a hive-mind-like conglomeration os noble (pharaoh) souls as one manifestation?

Or do they all inherit the same aspect and merge into one rather than all of them taking on the common form?

2 Likes

Of course it is deeper! Egyptologists have been trying to agree on this matter for 200 years.

Were the Egyptians monotheistic or polytheistic? Trying to fit Egyptian thought into either category is a mistake.

For ordinary people who had little or no access to education, there were a multitude of gods, each with a different function. Sometimes one god could take attributes from another. That was all.

But there was 10% of the population (nobles and priests), trained in the Schools of Life, who knew how to read and write and had time to elaborate philosophical ideas. From there, probably, arises the idea of the existence of a single god who manifests himself as many, or rather the idea of transformation. Sometimes in the Egyptian texts the names of many gods are mentioned and other times they only say “God”, without referring to any specific one.

Egyptian religious thought was very free, people believed in what they wanted to believe. And in that freedom there was everything. So sometimes, for example, there are different versions of the same myth.

3 Likes

You’re gonna indoctrinate me if we keep this up!

Well,not really,but it’s quite compelling.

3 Likes

I really like questions about the everyday life of Egyptians.

3 Likes