Anyone remember the old Battlemech Shields?
- The problem with these shields, is that they would exchange damage for heat or energy and stay on until they were drained. You can see how that would be a problem for a heat or energy mech. Plus, whole action points were wasted having to turn them on or off. Basically, the only real use for wasting weight on them was trying to stretch out those last few HP
- lack of item variety (everyone’s got 8 modules and a drone)
- lack of walking
- and minimal combat beyond 3 spaces
Re-introducing Shields, specifically Heat Shields and Energy Shields, with some adjustments, can fix these problems.
- For starters. it would be nice if activating shields didn’t cost a whole action point. The game is so heavily weighted towards offense, that spending one action point activating a shield, or even walking, could cost you the match but what if we combined Shield and Walk into a Single Action Point?**
- -Player selects Shield (3rd button in picture, still exists in game)
- -Immediatelly, a second menu comes up , giving the option to Fall Back 1 space, Hold Position, or Advance 1 space (note: 1 space only, not 2)
- -Then after selection, the Heat or Energy Shield animation occurs along with the movement
- -All of this takes a Single Action Point
OK, that’s nice, so what does the Shield do and how much does it cost?
- I’ll leave the specifics up to the experts, but I’m thinking 2 uses only, 17kg, 20 heat or energy to activate on Common, with 20% all damage reduction until the beginning of next turn. Scales to 60 heat or energy to activate on Mythical, with 60% all damage reduction. The activation cost puts a set limit on amount of heat or energy used that was not present in Legacy.
- weight choice between this and a module
- will encourage more walking. The trade-off for not firing a weapon will be off-set by damage taken being less (ie. smaller penalty)
- players will be more willing to walk out of close range as well
- much bigger chess match in terms of where to move and when (a shied-move into high-damage limited use weapons (eg. EMP) may be favourable as damage reduction is percentage-based). Does the opponent fire anyway knowing damage will be halved or does he wait for a later opportunity
- small buff for heat and energy mechs vs the super high damage phys mechs (though they can still get shields too)
-games go a bit longer allowing more skill and strategy to come through
- judicious use of shield can be a game-changer
- Cool, Shields should be re-introduced, as suggested
- Hmm, Shields should come back, but in another way (please explain)
- No, Shields should not come back (please elaborate)