Ever watch those Anime movies with giant Mecha fighting? Lots of movement, lots of action.
Ever get into round 3+ of a SuperMechs Arena match? Two mechs just standing in place shooting at each other with no movement at all?
There are multiple reasons for this (overly wide ranges, overly high damage output, Arena Shop bonuses, pushes and pulls, great weapon combos, very little incentive to move, etc.), but for the most part, I don’t think any of these can be dialed back.
There is one really nice solution that will address all of these… “Sweet Spot” Mechanics
"Sweet Spot" Mechanics
- Every weapon in the game has a range. What if we kept all ranges the same, but also introduced an Optimum Range, the “Sweet Spot”, for each weapon? In the Sweet Spot, the weapon is capable of 100% maximum damage, just as before, but outside the sweet spot, the weapon is only capable of 75% Maximum Damage,
- Swords 1-2 (sweet spot 1)
- Short Range Guns 1-2 (sweet spot 2)
- Medium Range Guns 2-4 (sweet spot 3)
- Long Range Guns 3-6 (sweet spot 4-5)
- Very Long Range Rockets 4-8 (sweet spot 6-7)
- Weapons with only a single range (Scopes, Axes, Hammers) will always be capable of 100% Max damage
- This will result in an overall damage reduction which is much needed to bring more tactical gameplay
- The difference in damage is high enough (25%) to warrant a Tactical Decision
- This mechanic would encourage attackers to change position to get the maximum damage out of an attack
- This mechanic would encourage defenders to also change postiion, so as not to take the maximum damage out of an enemy attack
- This will make play as a Phys Mech much more interesting, and will help differentiate the mediocre from the awesome
- I would like to see “Sweet Spot” Mechanics in SuperMechs as described or similar
- I would like to see more movement and tactics in SuperMechs but in a different way (please explain)
- Movement and tactics in SuperMechs are fine as is