[IDEA] Introducing "Sweet Spot" Mechanics to encourage more Movement and Tactics

Ever watch those Anime movies with giant Mecha fighting? Lots of movement, lots of action.

Ever get into round 3+ of a SuperMechs Arena match? Two mechs just standing in place shooting at each other with no movement at all? :roll_eyes:

• There are multiple reasons for this (overly wide ranges, overly high damage output, Arena Shop bonuses, pushes and pulls, great weapon combos, very little incentive to move, etc.), but for the most part, I don’t think any of these can be dialed back.

• There is one really nice solution that will address all of these… “Sweet Spot” Mechanics

"Sweet Spot" Mechanics

• Every weapon in the game has a range. What if we kept all ranges the same, but also introduced an Optimum Range, the “Sweet Spot”, for each weapon? In the Sweet Spot, the weapon is capable of 100% maximum damage, just as before, but outside the sweet spot, the weapon is only capable of 75% Maximum Damage,
  • Swords 1-2 (sweet spot 1)
  • Short Range Guns 1-2 (sweet spot 2)
  • Medium Range Guns 2-4 (sweet spot 3)
  • Long Range Guns 3-6 (sweet spot 4-5)
  • Very Long Range Rockets 4-8 (sweet spot 6-7)
  • Weapons with only a single range (Scopes, Axes, Hammers) will always be capable of 100% Max damage
  1. This will result in an overall damage reduction which is much needed to bring more tactical gameplay
  2. The difference in damage is high enough (25%) to warrant a Tactical Decision
  3. This mechanic would encourage attackers to change position to get the maximum damage out of an attack
  4. This mechanic would encourage defenders to also change postiion, so as not to take the maximum damage out of an enemy attack
  5. This will make play as a Phys Mech much more interesting, and will help differentiate the mediocre from the awesome

Thoughts?

• I would like to see “Sweet Spot” Mechanics in SuperMechs as described or similar
  • I would like to see more movement and tactics in SuperMechs but in a different way (please explain)
  • Movement and tactics in SuperMechs are fine as is

0 voters

Hammers & Axes Poll
Wish list for a potential update

This was a thing before , it was called “FLOOR PADS”.

Everyone hated them , sp the devs removed the psds.

I played with those before
They were very abuseable
This is much different

I would like to see these in-game, but only at +20% or 15%.

The number is up for debate… 20% could also be quite reasonable :grinning:

Iz very nice, I like the idea And I’ve learned some interesting things that I haven’t known until now

i would say why not add the plataforms again? you know the ones that gave you a boost or a disadvantage

Platforms were abusable… I think most players were happy for them to go

true, but that’s where it forced you to move and form tactics

How??? How do you always have such good ideas!!
Also- this would help stop the claw from overpowering energy mechs

Do you really think someone would lose an action point to move just so he can fire one weapon for 100%? What’s the logic behind that? It would still be better to fire two weapons dealing that 75% damage each than to lose whole action point… + there are weapons which can change enemy’s position by pushing or pulling him. So still there wouldn’t be that much movement involved, people just would change builds to contain some push/pull weapons. Not a big deal.

This is 100% correct- I did not think about the idea fully when reading the post

oops

Do you really think someone would lose an action point to move just so he can fire one weapon for 100%? What’s the logic behind that? It would still be better to fire two weapons dealing that 75% damage each than to lose whole action point…

So according to that logic, there’s no point using drones… because I’d be wasting an action point to use a weaker weapon when I should just use 2 stronger weapons…

What you’re not seeing here, is that the difference in damage is compounded over time…

Let’s imagine 2 separate matches, involving player A in Match 1, and player B in Match 2, each with a Corrupt Light (CL, Myth, Range 3-6, sweet spot 4-5)

• In Sweet Spot range, CL hits for 200 damage on average
  • In Non-Optimum range, CL hits for only 150 damage on average
  • Let’s say both spawn 3 spaces away from their opponent(non-optimum range). Player A decides to stay at Range 3 (non-optimum range), while player B decides to move back a space to range 4 (sweet spot)

Player A

• Rnd 1: 150 +150 (300 total)
  • Rnd 2: 150 +150 (600 total)
  • Rnd 3: 150 +150 (900 total)
  • Rnd 4: 150 +150 (1200 total)
  • Rnd 5: 150 + 150 (1500 total)

Player B

• Rnd 1: Move + 200 (200 total)
  • Rnd 2: 200 + 200 (600 total)
  • Rnd 3: 200 + 200 (1000 total)
  • Rnd 4: 200 + 200 (1400 total)
  • Rnd 5: 200 + 200 (1800 total)

I think it’s plain to see the benefit of moving to Sweet Spot range…

Drop the Mic… :studio_microphone:

• there are weapons which can change enemy’s position by pushing or pulling him. So still there wouldn’t be that much movement involved, people just would change builds to contain some push/pull weapons. Not a big deal.

Yeah, if your enemy decides to be just a statue

This is where positioning comes into play…
If you’ll notice, I was very particular with the Sweet Spot ranges, and there is no overlap

So if I’m using a Medium range gun, sweet spot range 3, and you’re using a Long range gun, sweet spot range 4-5, and you don’t want to move from range 3, thanks bud… I’ll take my 100% damage and you can have your 75% damage

Both sides will be fighting for optimum position, and as you can see by the previous post, within 2 turns you’re even and then ahead by Turn 3.

Sure, you can have push/pull weapons, but they’ll have them too.

Even designing your Mech becomes much more intricate as well… it might be better to have 2 main weapons with same optimal range, rather than trying to cover the whole spectrum of ranges, all with different sweet spots (which almost everyone does now)

See where I’m going with this?.. we’re talking Chess instead of Checkers…

Another interesting outcome of this, is that Axes, Hammers and Scopes, considered to be a bit weak (have to lose an AP to move to scope range), now become stronger because they always hit at a 100%. Some interesting build ramifications.

drones dont use action points after initial deployment though and are not affected by this “sweet spot” thing.

also, knockback is a thing, especially with that new drone ts just put out. i feel like theres just gonna be more terror cry weapons and grim cobras circlin around the arena.

heat doesn’t win because of dmg either, so using that as an example is weak at best.

Neither does this… Once your position is changed, you will keep benefiting from the initial movement

I would probably restrict the “sweet spot” effect to Phys, Elec and Expl damage, and leave Heat and Energy damage alone

I used CL as example as it doesn’t have limited uses like most Phys weapons do. The principle is intact though… 2 turns of 2 AP is a wash, on turn 3, the Mover is ahead…

This is how we separate the mediocre from the awesome…
The mediocre will just keep firing in place…
The awesome will think a couple moves ahead and seize the advantage.

once my position is changed, i could use another weapon to go back to my orig position and profit and not move at all. this doesn’t really improve mobility usage, but it does promote lesser-used items. therefore, i still am firing in place and being awesome.

Then we’re talking Mech design which is no longer Tactics but Strategy… Tactics is giving two players the same Mech and seeing who uses it better. Right now, SuperMechs is lacking in Tactics

but it is tactics. using the knockback and pull is exactly that. nothing is lacking. the strategy is based on the element (like phys for dps, energy for drain, heat for shutdowns). thing is knockback weapons in the phys department are weaker than their bullet brothers.

example:
using a terror cry and night eagle (both in sweet spots) could yield less dmg than dual spartans (not in sweet spots)

this suggestion is like the floor pads but pitched a different way. “move to a certain spot and you get an advantage” was the floor pads, and “move your enemy to a certain spot to gain an advantage” is this suggestion.

besides, mercy and nightfall builds are gonna make a killing on this lol

This would only work if your enemy used no push/pull weapons or didn’t move

Heres a more realistic result

Player A
1500 total after 5 rounds (as shown)

Player B
1- move+200=200 total
2-200+200=600 total
3- move+200=800 total
4- 200+200 =1200 total
5-Move+200= 1500 total

The reason player b moves so much is because player A has a last words, or terror cry, or repulser, or grim cobra, or night eagle, or supreme cannon, or abomination… the list of push or pull weapons goes on. In fact, with the often use of charge engines, and grappling hooks, players might move even more and have less of a score for the sweetspot thing- even more now with the knockback drone.